Title of publication
Audit of the University of Turku
Milena Žic Fuchs, Sebastian Neufeld, Mikael Pentikäinen, Marijk van der Wende, Sirpa Moitus & Mira Huusko
Self-assessment of the University of Turku (eds.) Juha Sainio & Ilona Tuominen
The Higher Education Evaluation Committee’s decision
The University of Turku passed the audit on 25 August 2023
The Quality Label is valid until 25 August 2029.
The audit team’s evaluation of evaluation areas I-III
I: HEI creates competence: good level
II: HEI promotes impact and renewal: good level
III: HEI enhances quality and well-being: good level
HEI as a learning organisation – evaluation area chosen by the University of Turku
Support services for societal impact
Theme and partner for benchlearning
Theme: Sustainable development
Partner: University College Cork — National University of Ireland, Cork
Key strengths and recommendations
- Curriculum development is a systematic and participatory process that takes well into account of feedback from stakeholders and students.
- The University of Turku (UTU) is building a robust strategic profile with innovative initiatives in research towards societal impact, open science, and multidisciplinarity. UTU has an advanced position in renewing research assessments aligned with these strategic priorities.
- Quality management is closely linked with UTU’s strategic management. An open quality culture enables broad participation in developing its core activities and services.
- UTU has a strong ambition and shared strategic goal to promote societal impact and supporting university services.
- The University of Turku should continue integrating multidisciplinarity further into and across degree programmes.
- Considering the relatively small number of international experts at UTU, extra efforts should be made to bring in international expertise and attract foreign talent.
- There is already good cooperation between UTU’s faculties, but there should be scope for seeking more coherence across faculties in strategy execution.
- UTU should finalise its fundraising policy with the help of support services. It should also increase the international dimension of partnerships.