The evaluation area III assesses the functioning and development of the quality system and how the system is used in strategic management. The procedures used to support the competence development and well-being of the staff are also assessed.
The evaluation area III as a whole is at the level good.
The audit team identified the following as the main strengths and recommendations:
- VAMK has a new, clear strategy and five primary strategic areas for which strategic indicators have been set. Quality management efficiently supports the management of the UAS and the strategy implementation. Strategic indicators enable diligent knowledge-based management.
- VAMK’s change of operating culture significantly strengthens institutional life and collegial interaction. Thus, the renewed operating culture enables the community to develop in the direction of the ambitious strategic goals.
- VAMK has a well-articulated staff development plan which comprises diverse opportunities to further develop pedagogical and professional competences and up-date RDI and working life skills.
- The ambitious strategic goals especially in the field of RDI, continuous learning and internationalisation increase challenges for VAMK’s staff. Attention should be paid to staff well-being and workload management so that everyone is kept onboard and remains committed to the change.
- New interaction forums and platforms need to be further strengthened to enhance sharing of knowledge and good practices in the work community. As part of staff development, VAMK should equally ensure the transfer of tacit knowledge within the institution.
- Based on information produced by the quality system, VAMK has identified development needs and has also defined development measures. However, VAMK could manage the practical implementation of development measures more systematically.