The evaluation area III assesses the functioning and development of the quality system and how the system is used in strategic management. The procedures used to support the competence development and well-being of the staff are also assessed.
Based on the audit team’s evaluation, the evaluation area III is at the level excellent.
The audit team identified the following as the main strengths and recommendations:
- There is a strong connection and commitment in the Aalto community to the annual process and quality system, and the prioritisation of resources supports strategic plans and aims through solid leadership.
- Aalto has a systematic, diverse and well-documented approach to identifying and supporting staff competence development at the individual and the institutional level. In particular, the support of pedagogical competence is excellent.
- Aalto can provide strong evidence of the functionality and impact of its quality system on enhancing the core activities. The quality system is comprehensive, including a long-term evaluation programme.
- As Aalto is a global university, it should ensure that international staff and students feel fully integrated with implementing the quality system.
- Aalto should strengthen the communication of its well-being services and their alignment with staff needs. Also, feedback on how staff input in strategic processes is considered, and communication of which channels are available for staff to influence decision-making, should be improved.
- Aalto should consider implementing formal student and staff representation in the Board.