The evaluation area IV assesses an area selected by the HEI where it wishes to receive feedback for the enhancement of its activities.
The audit team identified the following key strengths and recommendations:
- Internationalization is a goal of UEF, and there was wide acknowledgement that great progress has been made on internationalization in the recent past.
- Evaluating the experiences of international staff and students in university surveys and other evaluations is a positive activity that should be continued, together with the copious next steps identified by the university.
- International students are generally satisfied with their programs, many caring faculty members and staff, and good overall experiences, including a quality welcoming program.
- UEF should explore avenues to enhance career progression opportunities and career security as well as enhancing Finnish language learning opportunities for international staff. The university should ensure that all community members, regardless of language skills, are able to participate in decision making and governance.
- UEF should ensure that Finnish staff obtain more international experience and intercultural competence through interaction with existing international staff and students who are present at the university.
- UEF should ensure that international students have support as they transition to learning in the Finnish style. The university should also evaluate the structure of courses and programs targeted to international students to determine whether the course structures are optimal for the intended audience.