Title of publication
Audit of Åbo Akademi University (Auditering av Åbo Akademi)
Birgitta Bergvall-Kåreborn, Alexander Bargum, Marie Nørvåg, Max Scheja & Mirella Nordblad
Self-assessment of Åbo Akademi University (ed.) Ole Karlsson
The Higher Education Evaluation Committee’s decision
Åbo Akademi University passed the audit on 26 August 2022.
The Quality Label is valid until 26 August 2028.
The audit team’s evaluation of the evaluation areas I-III
I: HEI creates competence: good level
II: HEI promotes impact and renewal: good level
III: HEI enhances quality and well-being: good level
HEI as a learning organisation – evaluation area chosen by XX
Working life relevance of education
Theme and partner for benchlearning
Theme: Student recruitment
Partner: Dalarna University
Key strengths and recommendations
- There is an active and lively discussion at the university about and a tangible awareness of what currently works well and what may need to be developed in terms of planning, implementation and evaluation of the educational provision.
- Åbo Akademi has a strong and well-functioning collaboration with external actors and this collaboration has a clear and positive impact on society.
- The handling of personnel matters is ambitious and professional.
- There is a good and consistent ambition on the part of management, staff, students and external actors to further develop the working life relevance of educational provision. This ensures that the work will be prioritised in the future.
- The continued development of the student feedback system needs to include careful consideration of which information is collected when, where and how, as well as analysis of which information is of real use for the development of education.
- The management needs to strengthen university-wide structures, procedures and processes while maintaining the organisational culture that enables flexibility and short lead times.
- Åbo Akademi can further systematise the use of information and indicators, particularly in the area of societal engagement.
- Åbo Akademi should review its bachelor’s and master’s programmes (generalist fields) and create clearer structures for increased working life relevance in the programmes in which it is needed. The university should set aside time and resources for the enhancement work.