Evaluation area II assesses the procedures used to manage and improve societal engagement, strengthen the impact of the HEI’s research, development and innovation as well as artistic activities, and support an innovative organisational culture.
Based on the audit team’s evaluation, the evaluation area II is at the level good.
The audit team identified the following as key strengths and recommendations:
- The University of Ljubljana (UL) is tightly connected with its surrounding society through various activities. Alumni and stakeholder engagement is strong.
- The institutional research programme framework is a good way to enhance cooperation between faculties and foster interdisciplinarity.
- The UL is committed to cultivating an innovative organisational culture by encouraging experimental activities within the university and with partners both nationally and internationally.
- The UL should specify university-wide objectives for societal engagement and impact. These objectives should be linked to activities, monitoring, and the measurement of activities. Societal engagement should be more strongly linked to the university’s management system.
- Societal engagement should be better connected with career progression, for instance, habilitation and annual appraisal.
- Staff engagement in open science could be improved through better participation in training activities of the senior scientific staff.